Thursday, May 24, 2012

Barabbas Goes to NATO




According to the Christian story there were two prisoners; Jesus and Barabbas.  They stood before a large crowd as their captor shouted "Who do you all want me to release? ..Jesus or Barabbas?"  The crowd responded in one voice over and over again, "Give us Barabbas!"  And so he did.. and Jesus remained to be crucified.  

Growing up, I had always heard Barabbas referred to as a criminal, a thief, a murderer etc.. and I thoughtlessly accepted that. Though I still wondered at the sanity of any crowd begging for such a creature to be released to them in the place of the gentle Jesus. However, recently I heard a different translation.. rather than 'Barabbas the Criminal,' I heard 'Barabbas the Revolutionary.' In the face of a crumbling Roman empire and vicious oppression of Jews (and soon Christians,) Barabbas fought. 

This past week NATO took over the city.  Heat, motorcades, protestors and police filled Chicago to the point of bursting and as resources were funneled to the city center, Uptown felt unprotected. Our leaders gathered here to plan and compromise and to tackle the impossible task of finding their way to peace.  Meanwhile, smaller wars were being fought just steps from where the likes of Merkel, Obama and Rasmussen hung their suits. While police fought to control protestors and Occupiers, multiple Uptown calls to 911 went without response. Menacing people gathered in the streets, shouting into the wee hours of the morning, smoking weed, throwing garbage, peeing on the sidewalk ..all with impunity and knowledge of the cities overstretched resources.  My husband and I spent the weekend hiding in our apartment, peering out the window while counting the hours between a police car driving past.  Eventually, my husband gave up and starting searching the internet for apartments in a safer neighborhood.  So it was with great relief that Monday brought about a close to NATO meetings, an end to motorcades, a dispersing of protesters and a return of a police presence to Uptown.

As a raging liberal, I am still not sure how I feel about the occupy movement. I agree that there is so much wrong with the world but in the practice of my small life, I am finding that its the tiny battles fought and won that can change perspective.  Martin Luther King Jr didn't spit at his enemies, he challenged them to dream. Gandhi challenged them to love, and Jesus challenged them to forgive.  They changed everything. However, with all the divisiveness, hate and anger in the world today, it's easy to see how the crowd would shout for Barabbas while Jesus stands aside with sadness in his eyes.  

And so I come back again to my own doorstep.  There is a woman in the neighborhood.  She is a short black woman with a tired hard look in her eye. She is always pushing a child in a stroller and generally has another little girl trailing after. She stares straight ahead ignoring the world around her and since last August, I have been saying hi to her.  For nearly nine months she has walked past as though I were invisible. However, a couple weeks ago she responded with her own quiet hi. Yesterday, before I opened my mouth, she lifted her hand from the stroller and waved.



Barabbas lay down your arms
For you carry Abraham in your veins,
For you are held in Allah's heart,
You're the twinkle in dear Brahma's eye,
And one already died
So you might Live. 


3 comments:

  1. Did you write this poem? I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judy!! I did write it and it is actually part of a song that I will post here once I record it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to hearing your song! In fact I would like to hear all of your songs! Are you back in Chicago now? We have a condo in Edgewater and stay there weekends. Let me know if you are performing anywhere. So nice catching up with you, I've missed you, you know. I tell the story of how we met to friends as it was quite magical.

      Delete